Water filtration is surprisingly easy and affordable. At a minimum you need a good, portable water filter and some containers. There are many types of filtering methods and filter types. Click here for a description of the major filtration and purification methods. Click the links below for more information about filter types.
- Personal Filters are low-volume, small, effective, inexpensive filters for any emergency kit.
- Gravity Filters treat a larger volume of water but filter the water more slowly.
- Pump Filters process larger amounts of water quickly and normally have a hose to reach the water source.
- Home Filters should purify extremely fouled water or you have secondary treatment.
- UV Purifiers render bacteria and viruses harmless but they do NOT remove chemicals and debris.
- 0.02 Micron Filters remove chemicals, debris, and contaminants including bacteria and viruses.
- Water Purification (boiling, tablets, bleach) kills microorganisms but does NOT remove chemicals/debris.
For your home kit you should be able to filter extremely fouled water (this article is extremely important). A serious emergency can compromise the water supply and normal water filters are NOT sufficient to filter extremely fouled water. If the water supply is compromised then use a 0.02 micron water filter. You can start with a more affordable filter and upgrade later. Know about secondary water treatment (see articles).
- Water filtration and purification methods
- See the Shopping page for a list of filters
- Article on Water Filtration & Storage
- Article on Extremely Fouled Water
- (minimum) Sawyer Mini or Sawyer Squeeze in car kit, Bugout Bag, or hiking kit
- (optional) Pump filter or 0.02 Micron Filter for your vehicle kit
- Include a 0.02 Micron Filter in your home kit