This quick and healthy meal takes about two minutes to make and requires only water and a microwave oven. I use one Pyrex bowl with a cover and one small plastic container. Use the Pyrex bowl to rehydrate and cook your meal.
This recipe uses about one rounded tablespoon of chicken or beef. One THRIVE pantry can contains about 23 rounded tablespoons of chicken or beef. This is enough chicken/beef to make over 3-weeks of rice bowl lunches.
Servings: 1; Prep Time: 2 minutes; Refresh Time: 20 minutes; Cook Time: 4 minutes
Ingredients (Pyrex Bowl)
Add these ingredients to the Pyrex bowl. Vary the ingredients as much as you like.
- ⅛ cup, or one rounded tablespoon of THRIVE Shredded Beef, Pulled Pork, or Chicken
- 1 tsp of THRIVE Chopped Onion
- Add THRIVE vegetables — whichever ones that you like. I often use broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, carrots, red or black beans, corn, etc. Be creative and try different ingredient combinations.
- Add a seasoning such as: (1) ½ tsp Sea salt + pepper (to taste), (2) powdered marinade or seasoning (amount will vary depending on the seasoning), or (3) BBQ (other other) sauce
Ingredients (Small Plastic Container)
In this contain add ½ cup of instant rice or potato flakes.
- Add about 1-1½ cups of hot water to the Pyrex bowl and leave it covered for at least 5 minutes. This step rehydrates the freeze-dried ingredients and will be used to cook and rehydrate the rice or potatoes later. You can use hot water from a coffee maker, microwave a cup of water, or use warm water and let the ingredients rehydrate for at least 15 minutes.
- Uncover the Pyrex bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. There will be excess water in the bowl.
- Add the instant rice or potatoes to the Pyrex bowl. Stir all ingredients, cover the Pyrex bowl, and allow it to rehydrate for at least 20 minutes (you can leave it longer). I did this step while on a work break and came back to it at lunch time.
- Remove the cover and microwave the bowl for 2 minutes.
- Put the cover pack on the bowl and let it sit for 2 minutes. This allows the ingredients to finish cooking and allows the water to absorb.
- Stir the contents, re-season as needed, and eat.